Tuesday, May 4, 2010

OH MY BLOG AWARD


1. Get really excited that you got the coolest award EVER!
2. Choose ONE of the following options of accepting the OMB award:
(a) Get really drunk and blog for 15 minutes straight, or for as long as you can focus.
(b) Write about your most embarrassing moment.
(c) Write a “Soundtrack of your childhood” post.
(d) Make your next blog a ‘vlog’/video blog.
Basically, you’re talking to the camera about whatever.
(e) Take a picture of yourself first thing in the morning,
before you do anything else (hair, make up, etc) and post it.
3. Pass the award on to at least three, but preferably more, awesome bloggers as yourself.
Don’t forget to tell them.

Well, this is the award that I waxed poetic about in my last posting. I would consider option (c) if I understood what it meant. Unfortunately, I don't really get it. Do they want a list of songs on a soundtrack that I think sums up my childhood? Well, that would be fun. It would be another one of those posts where no one would "get it" because they would look at the song and say "What song is that? Who sings that? Or who is that singer? I've never even heard that. I have no idea what that even means. Oh great, she's posted more youtube footage so that I can hear the song. Oh fantastic. There are ten links here to all ten songs. Who has time for this? Okay, now I've listened to the song, but I still don't get it. What is her point? This has to be the stupidest post ever." Ixnay on the soundtrack idea.

I don't drink (anymore), I don't do video, and don't even think about taking a morning picture. All that leaves is the embarrassing moment story. If you want my
most embarrassing moment you can read this blog. I wrote it before I knew I was going to get honored with this award. Now, you have to settle for this story. In all honesty, I am not convinced it is the second runner up. I just have so many stories that it is difficult to decide.

The reason I chose this story is because I actually have blocked out a lot of the details of this event because it was traumatic for me. That reads embarrassing, right? I have spent two days trying to recall as much as I can for this blog, and it is still sketchy, at best. I have nailed down that it was my senior year of high school. I was very involved in music and theatre in school, and had already decided that I wanted to major in music in college. I had taken piano lessons in junior high school, but quit, because I really didn't have a love of the piano. This should have told me something. It didn't.

Anyway, knowing that I wanted to major in music, my mother found me another piano teacher for lessons, and I began again my senior year. This was a busy year. I had a lot going on all the way around. I am fairly certain that it was in the Spring that my piano teacher had a recital for all of her students at her church. In addition to that recital, I was in the spring play at school, ARSENIC AND OLD LACE, contest (for choir, swing choir, and as a soloist), THE SPRING CONCERT(which was a huge show for concert choir, swing choir, and multiple musical acts), Acting Ensemble had our spring play, and REE Camp Counseling Week. Oh, and I had my actual classwork.

Anyway, back to this piano recital. I think it is safe to say that the biggest problem with my piano skills was my lack of practicing. Yep. I didn't spend enough time at the piano as I needed to in order for my piano playing to really be considered good. However, this recital snuck up on me. Like I said, I have really tried to block as much as possible about this event from my mind as possible, right down to what song I was playing. I am pretty sure it was "Chariots of Fire." Somehow, that seems appropriate now. The thing is if she would have let us play it with the music, it wouldn't have been a disaster. However, it had to be memorized.

What do I remember? Sitting in the church pew dreading my turn. Seeing my enriched trigonometry teacher in the audience. Seeing one of my mom's old quartet buddies from Sweet Adelines in the audience. I remember making it through the introduction, and then somewhere on what would have been the second page my memory just deserting me. Like that. It was gone. I couldn't improvise. I just stopped playing. I didn't even play well enough to make up an ending. Besides, I'd only been playing for less than a minute. "Chariots of Fire" is a fairly long song. I sat there and thought about starting it again from the top but I knew I wouldn't get any further along. So, I just stood up and walked off the "stage." People didn't know whether to clap or not. I don't know if anyone ever did clap. There was buzzing in my head, so if they did, I didn't hear it.

I had a lot of people come up to me after and tell me not to feel bad (yeah right) and it wasn't that bad (of course not) and so on and so forth. Each person only reinforced how truly terrible it was. Hence the blocked memory. Now, I wonder about things like Alzheimer's, since it runs in our family. Just imagine ~ someday when I can't remember my family and friends, or what I had for breakfast, I am going to have total recall of this horrible day that I crashed and burned at a piano recital on a song called "Chariots of Fire." The nurses will be apoplectic with laughter.

Here is the fun part... I get to tag at least three people to pick up this award and run with it.

1) Purple Cow at Australian in Athens
2) Liza at Middle Passages
3) Miss Angie at My So-Called Chaos
4) Truthful Mommy at The Truth About Motherhood
5) Linda at Bar Mitzvahzilla

7 comments:

  1. well poop.
    that sucks.
    lol.
    at least you were a kid, they always go lighter on kids.
    onward and upward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robin...I think? There will be no morning picture, vblog or drunken rambling from me. I don't think I know how to do a soundtrack. That leaves me with an embarrassing moment. Well, I'll have to think about that one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. re: your comment on my blog - thanks Robin. It means the world to me.

    re: piano recital story - Ouch. That sucks. I have never choked on stage but I have come close, and I still have nightmares about being in a production and forgetting all of my lines. Eeeek.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What kind of a teacher won't give a student sheet music for a recital? She should be ashamed of herself. And, she's the one who should be embarrassed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you thank you thank you! I'll write a post about this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robin, thank you for the award! And I'm with everyone else - not your embarassing moment, the teacher should have been ashamed of herself.

    Like you, I don't drink. Vlog? Just hiding here at my keyboard! Morning picture? Only if I go to bed with makeup on! So, I guess I'll have to think about one of my many excruciating embarassing moments and write about that...

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww... Poor you! Thanks for sharing, though. :o)

    ReplyDelete

You can now add YouTube videos in your comments by copy/pasting the link. AND/OR you can insert an image by surrounding the code with this: [im]code[/im]. In the case of images, make sure that your code is short and simple ending with something like .jpg. If you want to use a pic from someplace like Google Images, click on the image, then click on View Image. That is the code you want!

Dazzle Me!